If you’re reading this article, chances are you might have put on a few unwanted quarantine pounds, and hey! We’re not judging because all of our diets, exercise, and drinking habits have been thrown off this past year, but now is the time to get back to our regularly scheduled program, okay?
We’ve scoured the internet for the best fitness trainer-approved workout tips to help you shed some of that quarantine weight. Here are five tips to help you get back on track and get your groove back!
1. Set SMART goals. SMART goals are specific, measurable, attainable, and timely. Experts say that setting reasonable goals for yourself is vital when getting back into working out. Set goals, and look back on them when you need encouragement!
2. Start small with three 30-minute workouts a week. Celebrity trainer Anna Kaiser suggests pacing yourself with a few activities a week rather than overcommitting yourself. When starting out, start small to ensure you’re doing the exercises correctly and thoroughly, and then once you’re ready, up your number of workout days!
3. Eat fewer calories while burning more calories. In order to lose weight, research shows you must be at a calorie deficit. That means if you’re looking for ways to lose weight, you should focus on eating fewer calories rather than focusing on burning them off.
4. Take breaks often to avoid injury or burnout. “The two things that stop people from losing weight with exercise are either boredom or injury,” says physical therapist Ben Quist. Ensure that you’re taking breaks so that you don’t harm yourself or set yourself back!
5. Accept that setbacks will happen. Most fitness trainers and scientists stress the fact that setbacks are bound to occur and that accepting that fact now will give you the strength to push through when you feel defeated. Setbacks are discouraging, yes, but they’re not a sign of giving up.
Are you ready to get back in shape for your #hotgirlsummer? Now you’ve got these expert-approved tips to get you started, so let’s get to work!